Employee Relations Section
Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) Overtime Rules (8/23/04)
The U.S. Department of Labor (DOL) recently released its much-anticipated revisions to the
Fair Labor Standards Act's (FLSA) white-collar exemptions from overtime.
The rules are effective August 23, 2004. The links below provide specific information about
the revised rules.
- Supervisor's Guide to the
Fair Labor Standards Act (PDF) (Updated 10/04)
- This Toolbox has been updated to include all recent DOL changes.
- Fair Labor Standards Act (DOP Interpretive Bulletin)
- This Bulletin replaces policy DOP-P20
(Fair Labor Standards Act for Public Employees, 1/1/2000)
- General Information About Recent FLSA Overtime Rule Changes
- The United State Department of Labor (DOL) has eliminated the "long test" for determining if an
employee is exempt from overtime, and has, instead, made a single test for each of the categories. This
document summarizes this and other changes.
- Revised White-Collar Exemptions Tests
- This document gives step-by-step instructions for determining exemption
under the new rules.
US Department of Labor's FairPay Overtime Initiative Website
- The US Department of Labor has prepared this web site to
help employers understand the Department's new FairPay rules that strengthen overtime protections.