WV.gov  |  Administration  |  Purchasing  |  Local Government Outreach  |  Local Government Outreach FAQs

A ++ | A | A--  
Translate (Must switch browser to Chrome or Firefox)
Local Government Outreach FAQs

Question Answer
What is a statewide contract? A statewide contract is issued by the Purchasing Division and is a contractual agreement between the state and a vendor for frequently-used commodities and services.  These contracts are competitively bid and managed by the Purchasing Division.

What are the benefits of using a statewide contract?

There are many benefits to using a statewide contract that has been competitively bid by the Purchasing Division.  These contracts are available to use immediately.  Because these contracts are mandatory for all state agencies under the authority of the Purchasing Division to use, you will benefit from the savings for the high volume expected to be purchased.  The contracts easily accessible at the Purchasing Division’s website at www.state.wv.us/admin/purchase/swc.  The goods and services on these contracts are available to all agencies throughout the state.  And finally, it will save your agency time, since the Purchasing Division has already prepared the specifications, competitively bid the items, performed the evaluation and issued the contract.
Where can I find the available statewide contracts? The statewide contracts issued by the Purchasing Division are available at www.state.wv.us/admin/purchase/swc.
What types of goods and services are available on the statewide contracts? A wide variety of goods and services are available, ranging from food, tires and laundry supplies to vehicles, computers, copiers, debt services, and more!
Can local government entities use statewide contracts issued by the Purchasing Division? Yes, contained within each statewide contract is the vendor’s designated contact person.  Simply view the statewide contracts that are available at www.state.wv.us/admin/purchase/swc.  After ensuring that your agency’s laws and ordinances permit using the statewide contracts offered by the Purchasing Division, contact the vendor for the statewide contract and request to use the statewide contract.  Most statewide vendors are happy to share these low, discounted prices with other governmental organizations.
I’ve heard that state agencies have their own contracts and I would like to use one of them. How do I do that? Simply contact the agency and get the contract number.  If they can’t provide you with a copy of the contract, email Purchasing.Division@wv.gov with the contract number to obtain a copy at no charge.  After ensuring that your agency’s laws and ordinances permit using the contract, contact the vendor and ask to use the agency contract.
What is the West Virginia State Agency for Surplus Property? The West Virginia State Agency for Surplus Property Program (WVSASP) has been assisting thousands of eligible organizations by offering quality, usable property at a substantially reduced price for more than 60 years.  The WVSASP operates within the state Purchasing Division, which is under the state Department of Administration.  Public agencies and non-profit organizations turn to WVSASP as a solution to obtain high-quality products particularly when budgets are limited.  When a public agency no longer needs a commodity, the WVSASP extends its usage by offering the property to its many eligible program participants.  WVSASP administers the State Surplus Property Program and the Federal Surplus Property Program.
What is the State Surplus Property Program? Property that is no longer needed within West Virginia state government is “retired” to the West Virginia State Agency for Surplus Property (WVSASP).  This agency is located at 2700 Charles Avenue in Dunbar, West Virginia.  After state property has been retired, WVSASP is required to give sale preference to eligible organizations.  If eligible organizations do not express an interest in purchasing the retired commodity or expendable commodity, the property is made available to the general public through a variety of options, including online auction, daily retail sales, sealed bids and public auction.
Is there a compliance period when a local government agency purchases State surplus property? Surplus property obtained by an eligible organization, such as a municipality, county, fire department, county board of education, or a non-profit organization, may be subject to certain compliance requirements that require the eligible organization to place the surplus property into use and prohibit sale of transfer of surplus property for a specified period of time.
What is the Federal Surplus Property Program? The West Virginia State Agency for Surplus Property Program (WVSASP) is given the authority by the Federal Property and Administrative Services Act of 1949, as amended, to administer the transfer of donated federal surplus property through the U.S. General Services Administration at a low service charge to state and local public entities and non-profit organizations.
Who is eligible for Federal surplus property and how do I apply? Any state or local public entity is eligible, as well as non-profit, tax-exempt organizations.  However, before requesting federal property, the public entity or eligible organization must have an Application for Eligibility on file with WVSASP.  The form can be found at www.state.wv.us/admin/purchase/surplus/forms/SurplusApp10A.pdf and must be completed and submitted to WVSASP once every three years.
How do I screen Federal property? Eligible organizations interested in obtaining federal property may screen the property at GSAXcess.gov using the User ID and Password of “WVSASP.”  If this does not work for you, contact WVSASP at (304) 766-2626 and they can create a User ID and Password for you.
How do I get the Federal property once I find something my organization can use? Once an eligible organization finds property that it is interested in obtaining, the organization must contact WVSASP at (304) 766-2626 to make arrangements to secure the property.  The property is offered on an “as is, where is” basis, and the eligible organization is responsible for the pick-up and transport of the property from its current location to the eligible organization’s location.
Is there a compliance period when a local government agency purchases Federal surplus property?  The Application for Eligibility outlines the terms, conditions, reservations, and restrictions under which all federal surplus property will be donated.  When the executive officer of an organization signs the Application for Eligibility, the officer agrees to:  use the surplus property only in the official program which the officer represents; to put the surplus property into use within one year and to use it for at least one year; to use certain items for eighteen (18) months or longer; not sell the property, loan it, trade it or tear it down for parts unless given prior permission from WVSASP; and to pay the U.S. Government if the organization does not use the federal property in accordance with the Terms and Conditions.  Federal surplus property must be used in an authorized program.  
 What else should I know about obtaining Federal surplus property? Entities which obtain federal property must put the property into use within one year and use it for at least one year (or 18 months in some instances) and may not sell the property, loan it, trade it, or tear it down for parts unless given prior permission from WVSASP.  Personal and non-use of surplus property is strictly prohibited.  For more information, please contact the West Virginia State Agency for Surplus Property at (304) 766-2626.  
What are the benefits of becoming an eligible organization and purchasing through the West Virginia State Agency for Surplus Property?  Eligible organizations are provided the first option to purchase property that is available at WVSASP and can place items on hold for up to five (5) days.  In addition, a 25% discount is offered when purchasing three or more items (excluding large items, such as vehicles).  WVSASP also maintains a “want list” for eligible organizations, so that if an item is currently not available, the staff will look for the item and contact the organization when it becomes available.  There are specials that are available to eligible organizations that are not available to the public as well. 
How do I become an eligible organization with the West Virginia State Agency for Surplus Property?  It’s easy.  All you need to do is complete an Application for Eligibility, which is available at www.state.wv.us/admin/purchase/surplus/forms/SurplusApp10A.pdf.  


Privacy Information
© 2023 State of West Virginia
All Rights Reserved